What is NAMI Family-to-Family?
NAMI Family-to Family is a free, 12 class education program for family members of adults living with a mental health condition. In this program, family is viewed from a broad perspective to include parents, siblings, spouses, adult children, partners and significant others. The course is designed to help all family members understand and support their loved one living with a mental health condition while maintaining their own well-being. The course includes information on diagnoses, such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, major depression and other mental health conditions. Thousands of families describe the program as life-changing. The program is taught by trained teachers who are also family members and know what it is like to have a loved one living with a mental health condition.
What are the goals of NAMI Family-to-Family?
● To provide current information about the major mental health conditions and the most current research available on the biological aspects of these diagnoses
● To provide the most current information on the possibilities for living in recovery, including a variety of treatment strategies currently available
● To promote empathy by creating an understanding of the subjective, lived experience of a person living with a mental health condition
● To provide specific skills training in the areas of problem solving, listening, communication techniques and handling crises and relapse
● To focus on care for the caregiver such as learning to cope with worry, stress and emotional overload
●To provide guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community and offer tips of advocating for those supports and services
What will you gain by taking Family-to-Family?
● Connect with other family members just like you in a confidential setting
● Gain insight into how mental illness affects your relative/friend
● Take an eye-opening look inside some of today's current brain research related to mental health conditions
● Learn how families can become advocates for better treatments for their relatives
● Learn about the medication issues involved in mental health conditions and the latest treatment options.
● Learn to cope with worry and stress; learn to focus on care for you as well as your loved ones.
“This program made a tremendous difference in my relationship with my daughter. I can’t believe how uninformed I was about mental illness. I have already
referred three people for the next class.”
“The course has helped me to realize that my son is still inside the body that is often times hidden by the mental illness and that I am not alone in this.”
" I thought my wife and I knew just about everything there is to know about the system and the illness. Boy, were we wrong. Without a doubt, this is the best support course I have had the privilege of taking part in, bar none."